“Hey, we should go out for coffee sometime..”
What is “coffee” exactly? Romantic or Platonic? I never know.
It really confuses the shit out of me. I happen to really like coffee so when a guy I haven’t seen in a while asks me to “catch up over coffee” I usually agree. I’m beginning to realize it’s almost never a good idea. I can’t count the number of coffee things(for lack of a better word) I’ve been on that have turned into dates. Worse, the guy will think I’m interested and he’ll feel led on if otherwise. For me it’s platonic, for them romantic. Awkwardness ensues.
Coffee is apparently the new dinner date. It’s non-threatening, casual and inexpensive. The girl’s guard is down, it doesn’t feel like a date and it feels like you’re just hanging out. I’ve consulted with many guy friends about this matter and apparently, guys never simply just ask a girl out for coffee. There’s always an intention and rarely is it platonic.
It’s so frustrating because I want to make friends. I want to have coffee with friends that I have made. What I do not want is to show up for coffee thinking that it’s all platonic and *boom* date pala. Dude, I don’t want to date you, I just want to chill and enjoy my coffee. Now I have to screen every Starbucks invitation to make sure that it’s friendly and not romantic.
Moral of the story. I will not agree to go to coffee with a guy unless:
1) It’s a business meeting.
2) It is clear to us both that we are just friends. As in crystal clear.
3) I am interested in him also. (but come on dude. Ask me to dinner. Am I not good enough for dinner?!)
Guys and girls, please feel free to share your thoughts on the Coffee Strategy. Does it work?
- Hello, 2020!
- Looking For: Place to Host a Birthday Outreach
- Website Problems
- Follow Me on Instagram
- Missing you, Juelly.
- Musings: Wealth
- Assorted Whiskey for Sale
- Mosaic by the Creek
- The Stranger in Ultra
- 5 things Filipinos need to do to be better people
- Melchor Flores and the Strange Phonecalls
- Hello, I’m alive!
- Nanay Elsie
- Diet Diaries: Fit Food Manila Week
- Let me tell you about my dog, Jazzy
- Nahm at the Metropolitan Bangkok
- Separation Anxiety
- Diet Diaries: Paleo Manila Day 4 and 5
- Diet Diaries Paleo Manila Day 2 and 3
- Diet Diaries: Paleo Manila Day 1