After breakfast, we head straight to Tiaong, Quezon for stop #2 on our culinary journey.
Here we met artist Augusto “Ugu” Bigyan, known for his unique, world-class pottery.
After exploring his property, fondly called a Pottery Garden, he showed us how to make Kulawo. This is a dish made from burnt coconut milk, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and fresh eggplant. Traditionally, it is served with puso ng saging but in this case, eggplant will suffice as an option.
After his demonstration, we were treated to a huge buffet spread with delicious dishes – pako salad, mussels salad, kulawo, prawns in gata, bbq shortribs, freshly made calamares, grilled fish with mango and tomato salsa. For drinks we had fresh buko juice. For dessert, we were served ginumis. All of it was delicious. I was too busy eating to take photos. I wasn’t even hungry yet but I ate heartily anyway. That kulawo… yummy. I have to figure out how to make that at home.
Here’s my mom’s coverage on the food: http://www.ohmybuhay.com/2014/08/29/delicious-lunch-tiaong/#.VA3KGmPCcUo
After all that food, my mom and I purchased some home decor. They were on sale, 51% off for Ugu’s 51st birthday.
We boarded the bus last because we couldn’t decide on what to purchase. Woops. We finally settled on some pretty wall decor.
On the way home, we were treated to nice views, bright blue skies, empty rural roads and rolling farmlands. (Until we hit traffic on C5 but I shall not get into that).
To read more about Ugu Bigyan’s Pottery Garden, feel free to check out my mom’s entry (she has more photos) – http://www.ohmybuhay.com/2014/08/23/ugu-bigyans-pottery-garden-restaurant/#.VA3I3GPCcUo
- Follow Me on Instagram
- Missing you, Juelly.
- Musings: Wealth
- Assorted Whiskey for Sale
- Mosaic by the Creek
- The Stranger in Ultra
- 5 things Filipinos need to do to be better people
- Melchor Flores and the Strange Phonecalls
- Hello, I’m alive!
- Nanay Elsie
- Diet Diaries: Fit Food Manila Week
- Let me tell you about my dog, Jazzy
- Nahm at the Metropolitan Bangkok
- Separation Anxiety
- Diet Diaries: Paleo Manila Day 4 and 5
- Diet Diaries Paleo Manila Day 2 and 3
- Diet Diaries: Paleo Manila Day 1
- Aguirre AveXplorer: The Girl + The Bull
- Southern Culinary Tour: Ugu Bigyan Pottery Garden and Restaurant
- Southern Culinary Tour: Sulyap Gallery and Cafe